Tag Archives: POP Thursdays
The Museum of Photographic Arts (MOPA) at San Diego’s Balboa Park will be the venue this week for an ongoing film series called POP Thursdays. This POP (“Photography Off the Prado”) will take inspiration from comic pop culture, coinciding with Comic-Con week on July 12.
This dynamic, social, and interactive event will feature:
- Cocktails in the atrium
- Costume contest
- A screening of Sin City in MOPA’s Joan and Irwin Jacobs Theater with an introduction by Neil Kendricks, filmmaker and author of Comics Are Everywhere
- Create your own comic book portraits in a fantasy photo studio
- Live body painting of models as heroes and vixens by San Diego Body Art Playground
- Photography showcase of comic-inspired body painted characters
- Street food and craft cocktails presented by Alchemy Restaurant
- Superhuman grooves spun by Gabe Vega
For more information go here.
I was involved with the process to put on this MOPA event and creating the photography of body painted characters that will be on display. Over the course of several months before this POP, the San Diego Body Art Playground group held several sessions of body painting. Below you will see some of behind the scenes shots at studios where we worked. Please come out to POP Thursday to see our final works!
Follow Tom Yip | Modern Photography on Facebook!