Category Archives: Misc
So you’re off to your next photo shoot! Sweet. Got your camera bag all packed? Yep.
Here are some things that you may have overlooked. Check to make sure that you have these items before you head out the door. It could mean the difference between a good shoot and one that is memorable for all the wrong reasons.
5. Model Releases – Shooting a model? You’ll need a model release. Even if you have a digital model release via a mobile app or laptop, having a paper backup doesn’t hurt. Just as important as this item is a pen with which to sign the releases!
4. Towel – Not only is having a towel a good idea when hitchhiking the galaxy, it’s a great idea when shooting on location. A towel is useful for wiping down a model, hands, equipment, etc. It can also serve as protection or padding. If you’re shooting in a wet location, say at a pool or beach, you’ll need a nice towel.
3. Water – Expect your shoot to last longer than planned. In that case, you’ll probably get thirsty. If you don’t, maybe your assistant or model will. Pack a couple of extra bottles for them too. They’ll appreciate it. Combine with #4 above for cleaning purposes.
2. Memory Cards – If you don’t have any memory cards, you’re out of luck. Game over. Go home. Pack extra cards. You’ll have them to use if your shoot goes long and you need more storage space.
1. Band-Aids – A first aid kit would be great to take to every shoot, but if you have to take only one first aid item, it would be Band-Aids. Accidents happen. Fingers get cut and knees get scraped. You may be able to fashion a make shift Band-Aid with gaffers tape, but nothing beats a bona fide Band-Aid. They’re small and light, so they are easy to pack in your camera bag. Use with #4 and #3 above if you need to clean out a gnarly cut or scrape. Just make sure not to bleed all over your model releases (#5) or memory cards (#2).